Friday 8 November 2013

Challenge Day - Adapted Spicy Cajun chicken quinoa


Right, I have been meaning to try this for a while now but everytime I tend to avoid it due to a couple of reasons but I have read so much about it on blogs that I just had to try this 'Quinoa'. 
I searched online again to see what there was and came across this one on the BBC Good food website for 'Spicy Cajun chicken quinoa'

However as I often tend to do I give in and adapt it as adding the chicken was too hard and so I grabbed what I had on hand and decided to try frozen cod fillets as a replacement.

So, here was my adapted version of the recipe: 

Spicy Cajun Cod quinoa - courtesy of 'BBC Good Food'
2 cod fillets
1 tbsp Cajun seasoning - (taken from 'the kitchen alchemist' for cajun prawns)
50g quinoa
300ml hot chicken stock
50g dried apricots, sliced
1/4 x 250g pouch ready-to-use Puy lentils
1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
1/2 bunch spring onions, chopped

Method:

1. Heat oven to 180C. Toss the defrosted cod fillets with the Cajun spice and arrange in a single layer in a roasting tin. Bake for 20 mins until the chicken is cooked. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa in the chicken stock for 15 mins until tender, adding the apricots and lentils for the final 5 mins. Drain and place into a large bowl with the cod, toss together.

3. Add some sweated red onions to the quinoa with the coriander and some seasoning, then mix well.

Served with green beans, lettuce and julienne carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment